What: Forensic and Security Applications of Mass Spectrometry
Organized by: American Society for Mass Spectrometry (ASMS)
Where: Hilton Clearwater Beach, Clearwater Beach, FL
When: Jan 22-25, 2015
The 2015 Sanibel Conference on Security and Forensic Applications of Mass Spectrometry will bring together leading researchers from around the world to discuss the latest developments in mass spectrometry and its application to national security and forensic science. The meeting will include presentations in the following areas:
- Instrumentation and Ambient Ionization
- Fire Debris and Explosives
- Questioned Documents
- Nuclear and Elemental Attribution and Profiling
- Controlled Substances
- Forensic Genetics
A small number of submitted abstracts will be promoted to oral presentations. ASMS encourages graduate students and postdoctoral fellows to attend through the provision of 20 travel awards ($750 each) for students presenting posters.
In addition, NSF will fund 20 undergraduate students to attend the conference through travel awards in the amount of $925 ($175 registration fee plus $750 towards travel costs). Undergraduate students do not need to present to be eligible to receive a travel award.
This conference has been approved for two continuing education units (CEUs) though West Virginia University.
For more information: Conference Brochure
The Continuing Education for Forensic Professionals Program was a week-long, on-site training event. This event hosted an average of 300 professionals and was held at various locations nationwide bi-annually. The WVU FSI offered this program in collaboration with the National Institute of Justice.
- 2012 Fall Continuing Education for Forensic Professionals Program - Nashville, TN, October 8-12, 2012
- 2012 Spring Continuing Education for Forensic Professionals Program - Savannah, GA, June 4-8, 2012
- 2011 Summer Continuing Education for Forensic Professionals Program - Jackson Hole, WY, August 22-27, 2011
- 2011 Spring Continuing Education for Forensic Professionals Program - New Orleans, LA, March 28 - April 2, 2011
- 2010 Summer Continuing Education for Forensic Professionals Program - Boston, MA, August 2-7, 2010
- 2010 Spring Continuing Education for Forensic Professionals Program - Fort Worth, TX, March, 8-13, 2010
- Continuing Education for Forensic Professionals Program - Las Vegas, NV, June 15-20, 2009
- Forensic Biology & DNA Continuing Education Program - Morgantown, WV, July 30-August 3, 2007
- Continuing Education for Forensic Professionals Program - Orlando, FL, March 26-31, 2007
The Forensic Science Initiative would like to thank all of the attendees and instructors for making all of the Continuing Education for Forensic Professionals Programs so successful. We have had approximately 2000 attendees representing all 50 states and 2 territories since the beginning of the program in 2007.
If you would like for FSI to continue these continuing education programs, please write to your congressmen, senators, and to the forensic science division at the National Institute of Justice. With funding at a premium it is important to communicate the need for and value of such professional training.